Delaware Manufactured Home Relocation Authority

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why do I pay an extra $2.50 per month in my lot rent?

In accordance with Title 25 Chapter 70 (25DelC. 70), the community owner/landlord and resident/tenant in each manufactured home community must pay a monthly assessment for each rented lot to the Delaware Manufactured Home Relocation Aut hor it y (DEMHRA) Trust Fund. Effective January 1, 2020, the owners will pay $4.50 per lot. The lot’s owner will be responsible for paying $2.00 per rented lot while the resident will pay be responsible for a monthly assessment of $2.50 which is collected by the landlord each month as additional rent. Fifty cents ($0.50) of the $2.50 is transferred to an “Attorney Fund” which is managed by the Attorney General’s office on behalf of the resident s. This assessment is paid quarterly.

2. Does DEMHRA provide financial assistance if I want to move my manufactured home to another location?

DEMHRA provides relocation assistance to residents in manufactured home communities only when the community owner decides to apply for a change in land use in accordance with Title 25 Chapter 70 Section 7010 of the Manufactured Home Owners and Community Owners Act.

3. What is a change in land use?

A change in land use is when the community owner decides to change the intended use of the land of a manufactured home community and intends to terminate or not renew the lease agreement of the individuals paying lot rent.

4. How much notice will I get if this happens?

The community owner must give the residents a one­ year notice and provide updates quarterly.

5. If my home is not relocatable or I abandon it before the one-year expires, what are my options?

You can apply for a non-relocation allowance or an abandonment allowance. You must show proof that your property taxes are paid and surrender your title to DEMHRA.

6. I am a community owner and one of my tenants abandoned his mobile home. Will DEMHRA pay for the demolition of that home?

Unless you are going through a change in land use, DEMHRA cannot reimburse you for demolition expenses.

7. Can my landlord increase my lot rent more than once in a 12-month period?

Lot rent can only be increased once in a 12-month period, regardless of the term of tenancy or term of the agreement. A landlord shall give written notice of a lot rent increase to a tenant a minimum of 90 days prior to the effective date of the rent increase.

8. As a resident of a manufactured home park, who can I contact if my landlord increases the lot rent two times in one year?

If you have a complaint or concern you can file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Unit at the Attorney General’s Office.

9. I lost my job and have problems paying my lot rent. Can I get any assistance from DEMHRA?

DEMHRA does not provide financial assistance for residents who cannot pay their lot rent. However, a homeowner in a manufactured home community who is eligible for Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits or who is 62 years old or older is eligible for lot rent assistance from the community owner under the lot Rent Assistance Program. To be eligible, the following criteria must be met:

  • The homeowner must have owned his or her manufactured home and resided in the manufactured home community prior to July 1, 2006.
  • The homeowner must reside full time and exclusively in the manufactured home and must be the homeowner’s only residence.
  • The lot rent, excluding utilities and other charges, fees, and assessments must exceed 30% of the homeowner’s income. (This includes the income of all the occupants residing in the home.
  • The total liquid assets, including but not limited to bank accounts, stocks and bonds of all of those residing in the home must not exceed $50,000.00
  • The homeowner and all residing in the home must follow all manufactured home community rules, regulations, and standards.

10. Does DEMHRA assist with emergency home repairs?

DEMHRA does not provide financial assistance to residents needing emergency home repairs. However, there is a Statewide Emergency Repair Program (SERP), that assists eligible homeowners of manufactured homes on land-leased communities with emergency repairs. Situations that qualify include immediate health or safety threats, such as:

  • Heating system repairs (winter months)
  • Non-functioning plumbing
  • Electrical repairs (hazardous cases)
  • Roof repair or replacement for active leaks
  • Major structural repairs
  • Urgent accessibility modifications

SERP is administered by the Milford Housing Development Corporation on behalf of the Delaware State Housing Authority. Residents can call (844) 413-0038 to see if they qualify.

Additional information regarding assistance with emergency mobile home repairs can be found on the Delaware Manufactured Homeowners Association (DMHOA) website at

Related Topics:  ,